In case you hadn’t seen it in the news already on October 6th, 2009 Windows Mobile 6.5 was released to the public. Early reviews of the operating system are fairly lackluster. Windows Mobile users had high hopes that this operating system would begin to rival the iPhone or Android OS but it appears that the feature set is still far behind. If you want to take a look at the new Windows Mobile 6.5 OS it is currently shipping preinstalled on the HTC Touch2 phone.
A list of key changes and features in Windows Mobile 6.5:
- Start menu functionality has been expanded to cover the entire screen in a grid model.
- The scrolling is smooth and seamless with your finger. Highlighted items appear enlarged similar to the Apple Dock on the Macintosh.
- A simple slide left or right to unlock screen has been added.
- Key alerts and notifications now have plenty of room on the screen even in locked mode.
- Windows Mobile 6.5 marketplace is now available.
- The old stylus model has been dropped.
- Web browsing has changed quite a bit with significant improvements to zoom functionality.